Wednesday, 15 May 2013

Day 5:
MAY MONSTER MADNESS
Blog Hop!



May Monster Madness Blog Hop

I am so excited to be taking part in the annual May Monster Madness Blog Hop for 2013! Brought to you by Annie Walls (Author), Emma from Little Gothic Horrors, and Ked from Something Wicked this Way Comes...



The following is a poem I read in high school, way before I knew who the AMAZING (and ridiculously multi-talented) Neil Gaiman was. It actually effected me in such a profound manner, but was something which was lost to me for years...

Then, a few years ago, I was scouring through a $2.00 shop book bin and discovered a collection called "The Giant Book of Vampires" (ISBN 9781854873699). Not only did it contain the missing poem but also a story called "Human Remains" by the breathtaking Clive Barker. Introducing me to Clive's work.




Vampire Sestina

I wait here at the boundaries of dream,
All shadow-wrapped. The dark air tastes of night,
So cold and crisp, and I wait for my love.
The moon has bleached the color from her stone.
She'll come, and then we'll stalk this pretty world
Alive to darkness and the tang of blood.

It is a lonely game, the quest for blood.
But still, a body's got the right to dream
And I'd not give it up for all the world.
The moon has leeched the darkness from the night.
I stand in the shadows, staring at her stone:
Undead, my lover... O, undead my love?

I dreamt you while I slept today and love meant more to me than life - meant more than blood.
The sunlight sought me, deep beneath my stone,
More dead than my corpse but still a-dream
Until I woke as vapor into the night
And sunset forced me out into the world.

For many centuries I've walked the world
Dispensing something that resembled love -
A stolen kiss, then back into the night
Contented by the life and by the blood.
And come the morning I was just a dream,
Cold body chilling underneath a stone.

I said I would not hurt you. Am I stone
To leave you prey to time and to the world?
I offered you a truth beyond your dreams
While all you had to offer was your love.
I told you not to worry and that blood
Tastes sweeter on the wing and late at night.

Sometimes my lovers rise to walk the night...
Sometimes they lie, cold corpse beneath the stone,
And never know the joys of bed and blood,
Of walking through the shadows of the world;
Instead they rot to maggots. O my love
They whispered you had risen, in my dream.

I've waited by your stone for half the night
But you won't leave your dream to hunt for blood.
Good night, my love. I offered you the world.


by Neil Gaiman


Here's hoping you liked it as much as I do.

Get hop hop hopping to the other blogs!


27 comments :

  1. Neil Gaiman is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't he just a multi-talented freak! LOVE him! Thanks for hopping in!

      Delete
  2. Oh this is fab! Never heard of this before. Cheers Ben.

    Shah X

    shahwharton.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it awesome Shah? I have heard of a few universities who use it to analyse in poetry units.
      Thanks again for your awesome comments!

      Delete
  3. Love this almost as much as I love you! Only this poem won't bring me chocolate, so you win! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I'm a weiner! Your freakin' gorgeous!

      Delete
  4. Damn! That is one deep and dark and lovely poem. It shows all sorts of sides - love, dispair, passion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just awesome isn't it? Thanks for coming back again Dani!

      Delete
  5. What a remarkable piece of work! Thank you so much for sharing this, Ben. I may have never found it otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleasure Toni, hope you love it as much as I do. :-)

      Delete
  6. The poem is so sad and lonely, but so very beautiful, very much like a lot of Gaimen's work. You mentioned Clive Barker as well; I've never quite forgiven him for the not ending to Cabal :).
    Tasha's Thinkings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was unsure about that ending for so many years! But after reading (and re re re reading) kinda love it!
      Thanks so much for coming back Natasha!

      Delete
  7. "love meant more to me than life"

    Neil Gaiman has such a delicious tongue...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great quote to use and yes, he absolutly does!
      Thanks for stopping by again!

      Delete
  8. Magaly is right: Neil has magic at his fingertips when he writes! Thanks for visiting my blog again and commenting. It means a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its great to find something after so many years. And love the Detroit Tigers logo on your URL. I was their second home game early April as they beat the Yankees.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool poem had never heard it before...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got into horror through anthologies for the most part as well. It was a great way to discover new authors without committing to a single novel or another. I still try to pick up the Mammoth Book of Horror each year as it comes out to see who's still around and what new talent to look out for.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! Loved the poem. Neil Gaiman is great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! I love this!

    Neil Gaiman is just brilliant.

    Thank you for sharing : )

    My MMM post for today The Ghoul

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh man, what a treasure! Gaiman really is a master at what he does. Love him!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Neil Gaiman is amazing and one of my all time favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm a fan of Neil Gaiman but I had never read this amazing poem. Thanks so much for sharing, Ben!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad that you liked the "Adopt A Demon" Critter....
    I just set mine as a "Desk-top icon" to visit when we are felling "low"..

    ReplyDelete
  19. You know this is a monster talking, someone who kills and drinks blood, but it is so sad at the end when the vampire is left alone, his love not having risen. It's also a tantalising suggestion that only some of his lovers rise again, that the vampire has to give over something and hope that companionship rise.

    Neil Gaiman may not be the most lyrical poet in the world, but he certainly conveys his meaning beautifully.

    Sophie's Thoughts & Fumbles

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's fantastic, with so many sides, and complex emotions. I like Neil Gaiman, but had never seen this poem. Thanks for posting it.

    MMM on Kristen's blog, Day 5: My Day Involved Monsters!

    ReplyDelete

Facebook Twitter Google + RSS Feed Email Me